K'tanim ("littles") (New for 2018-2019!)
Families with children in pre-Kindergarten- 2nd Grade can choose between k'tanim or Rishonim (Sunday School Program.)
k'tanim ("littles"): Family learning, grades pre-k - 2nd
K’tanim (Littles) provides an opportunity for families with young children to come together for community building and family bonding through a Jewish lens. The time together includes opportunities for adult schmoozing and kid playing, singing and a short introduction to tefillah, and a family learning program. Families participate in learning together based on a theme for the year with hands on activities done together as parents and kids. Additional opportunities for community building come through dinner and Shabbat evenings. This program is an alternative to Rishonim.
*Younger or older siblings are welcome to attend K'tanim with their PreK-2nd Grade student and parents. There will not be child care or alternative activities for siblings. K'tanim does not fulfil the education requirement for any student above 2nd grade.
Each Year K'tanim will be centered around an educational theme. This year's theme is Celebrations!
- One Sunday afternoon per month: 4:00-6:00pm (includes dinner) (typically the 3rd Sunday of the month)
- 1st Friday evening of the month for Shabbat services, dinner, and community building.
- Choose either the 5:30pm Tree of Life service or the 7:10 Hallelu service
Sample Sunday Schedule
- 4:00-4:20 Families snack and schmooze- playground open
- 4:20-4:45 Sanctuary time (Service/Singing)
- 4:45-5:30 Family Program (Parents and kids together)
- 5:30-6:00 Pizza/Salad Dinner
Sample Friday Evening Schedule
- 5:30-6:10 Tree of Life Shabbat Service (geared towards pre-K-2nd Grade)
- 6:10-7:10 Community Shabbat Dinner (Open toall members of PTBE)
- 7:15-8:15 Shabbat Hallelu (OPTIONAL- geared towards 3rd graders-adult)
K'tanim also includes the following special events:
- Shabbat BaBayit (Shabbat in the Home)
- Sunday Sandwich Hevre (SSH)
- K-5 Family Retreat
Page 5-6)- Kesher (Connection): New and Improved Wednesday Elementary Option!
Kesher provides an educational option for 3rd-5th Graders who want the convenience of pursing Jewish Education and Hebrew during the week. The 3rd-5th Grade students follow the “experiential” model of our existing Kesher program, based on a chosen learning theme for one portion of the afternoon. This year's Kesher theme is: Jewish Connections of a Lifetime!
For the second portion of the afternoon, students would join leveled Hebrew classes of Alef, Bet, and Gimmel (Beginner, intermediate, advanced). This program is an alternative to Rishonim.
Kesher learning experiences meet on Wednesday afternoons from 3:45-6:00pm. A sample schedule is:
3:45-4:50- Experiential learning session
4:55-6:00 Leveled Hebrew classes (Alef, Bet, or Gimmel)
Students could optionally stay for dinner from 6:00-6:20pm at an extra fee.
Additionally, Kesher families enroll in our Community Shabbat on the 1rst Friday of the month for dinner, schmoozing, and prayer.
Sample Friday Evening Schedule
- 5:30-6:10 Tree of Life Shabbat Service (geared toward pre-K -2nd Grade)
- 6:10-7:10 Community Shabbat Dinner (Open to all members of PTBE)
- 7:15-8:15 Shabbat Hallelu (OPTIONAL-geared toward 3rd graders - adult)