Rishonim (Sunday School)
Families with children in Kindergarten- 5th Grade can choose between Rishonim or K'tanim (Pre K (Age 4) -2) or Kesher (3-5).
Rishonim is committed to Jewish learning that is relevant, engaging and creative. Rishonim meet weekly on Sunday Mornings (according to our school calendar) from 9:30-11:30 am.
- We seek to impart the stories and values from our Torah, celebrate Jewish holidays and expose our students to Jewish history and culture in our caring classroom environments.
- Classroom learning is enhanced by Chuggim (Electives), where students can choose from a variety of enrichment activities that help build and maintain friendships and strengthen community. Israeli dancing, drama, art, or Jewish rock are just some choices!
- Students learn commitment to tzedakah (acts of justice) by participating in our communities Sunday Sandwich Hevre (SSH), making meals for Samaritan House.
- 3rd - 5th grades participate in an original and experiential T'filah (prayer) curriculum. Together we seek to understand prayers and their meanings, make personal connections to prayer, and gain skills necessary for worship in a variety of Jewish settings.
- Rishonim views adult members of our school community as stakeholders in its success. We offer family learning, Shabbat dinner experiences and families are encouraged to participate in our memorable K-5 family retreat.
Want more community?! All families are welcome to join our monthly Shabbat dinner experiences. You may enroll for the year or register a la carte. On the first Friday night of the month, your family can attend a community Shabbat dinner that falls between our Tree of Life Family Shabbat Service (5:30 pm), or our musical Shabbat Hallelu Service (7:10 pm).
Rishonim Learning Themes by Grade:
Kindergarten & 1st Grades Through playful exploration, our youngest children are introduced to the meaning and rituals of Jewish holidays, important people and events in Torah stories, and get to know our synagogue home.
2nd Grade Commandments that guide how we live as Jews and how we treat one another to make our world a better place. By learning Hebrew letters, 2nd graders are introduced to the Hebrew language they will learn formally next year.
3rd Grade Exploring Torah through the engaging stories of Genesis. Building relationships with the Land of Israel and those who live there.
4th Grade The study of Exodus, into the Land of Israel and Beyond with a focus on values from our Torah narrative. An introduction to Jewish life cycles and how we mark time as Jews.
5th Grade The Jewish charge to pursue justice and our people's heroes and role models.
Additional Rishonim opportunities:
- Community Shabbat Dinners
- Shabbat BaBayit (Shabbat in the Home)
- Sunday Sandwich Hevre (SSH)
- Family Learning days
- 2nd-5th Camp Newman retreat
- K-5 PTBE Family Retreat